role models

Svein Olav Nyberg i at i-studies.com
Sun Nov 28 22:00:38 CET 2010

At 14:54 -0600 28-11-10, David McDivitt wrote:
>Agreed, so long as we pick and choose what parts we want to emulate. But
>some people try to emulate the person as a whole such as "what would jesus
>do" or "how does so and so think about it".

I think those people are still picking merely a part of the person -
as they see that part. That is rather obvious in the case of Jesus,
but should be so in the case of others role models as well. Anyone
who tries the Xerox version of "role model" will quickly be a very
uncomfortable piece of clay.

>Sometimes all we're doing is try to emulate the level of confidence a person
>projects and that's confused with substance. We might just learn to have
>confidence instead.

That might very often be the key. Depending. If you want to be a
better athlete, then you might not run with just emulating Carl
Lewis' confidence, but might want to look at how he trains, eats and
sleeps as well.
--

Svein Olav Nyberg
http://i-studies.com/i/

   "Did you ever contribute anything to the
    happiness of Mankind?"

   "Yes, I myself have been happy!"

                 - John Henry Mackay