role models

David McDivitt david at subjectivist.org
Sun Nov 28 21:54:57 CET 2010

>From: Svein Olav Nyberg <i at i-studies.com>
>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:32:41 +0100
>Cc: nonserviam at mailman.gramstad.no
>
>At 15:14 -0500 28-11-10, JCooper512 at aol.com wrote:
>>Is there such a thing as a good role model for an egoist? If so, who and
>>why?
>
>A role model is someone you seek to emulate not only for a single
>action, but for a whole integrated set of actions and properties.
>
>I think most of us would want to emulate an action that was succesful
>is obtaining something we also desired. And we would emulate it.
>
>But more often, in real life, what brings us where we want to be is
>not a single action but a whole integrated complex. That is when
>looking at and emulating a role model might be just what you need to
>get you where you want.

Agreed, so long as we pick and choose what parts we want to emulate. But
some people try to emulate the person as a whole such as "what would jesus
do" or "how does so and so think about it".

Sometimes all we're doing is try to emulate the level of confidence a person
projects and that's confused with substance. We might just learn to have
confidence instead.

--
yes, I dare to be subjective!