Nobody likes a do-gooder: Study confirms selfless behaviour is 'alienating'

Daniel Davis buybuydandavis at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 01:28:21 CEST 2010

I'm reading a book by David Rock, "The Mind at Work", which is a gernal analysis
of the mind in terms of behavior and functioning. One of the models he has
developed is SCARF - Status, Certainty, Autonomy, Relatedness, Fairness, where
violations of any of those are perceived as primary threats, like physical
threats.

So I'll give an analysis of the study in terms of his model.

Giving gifts is often a means of asserting status - I am so strong that I can
give things away, and if I'm stronger than you, I can give them to you. The
person giving their voucher away is basically giving charity to the group,
asserting their superiority over the group, and the group resented it.

Aren't people offended by violations of perceived fairness either way, whether
positive or negative? They don't like people who take unfair advantage, and they
don't like people who let themselves be taken advantage of. Either undermines
fairness. And I would expect that fairness is asserted particularly in matters
of trade. Their designated altruist is acting more like a chump in terms of
fairness.

Also, the fact that a minority of one engaged in behavior deviating from the
group automatically puts that person in the Them category, provoking automatic
dislike. (The Relatedness dimension.)

The violation of the fairness rules no doubt also pinged the Uncertainty button,
because it was unexpected, which then presented further uncertainty of whether
others would follow suit, and whether you should too.

So to the extent that I can tell what was going on in the study, which I find
difficult, I don't see any attempt at all to control for a number of relevant
factors. Also, a person could just value the possible money more than the
vouchers, so that was a particularly bad design choice.

Altruism in action as opposed to Altruism in pontification really isn't doing
good to others, it is doing good to others that are significantly worse off than
yourself, or in a significantly worse position to deal with an issue. The less
related a person is, the more differential is required.

Who would classify sending Bill Gates a check for $10 as altruism?

The other day I saw a woman at the hardware store trying to get down a 4x4 from
a rack. I could do it easier, so I offered to get it down for her. She smiled
and thanked me, and I got it down. I guess that would be altruism, with some
habitual sucking up to the ladies - though I had no such aims in this case.

I wouldn't have offered that help to any man with all his parts, not just
because men don't float my boat, but because a man would likely perceive it as
an insult, whether or not it was manifestly obvious to both of us that I was
better able to get it down.

I think people have some innate sense to help others in their group, and name
that altruism. Isn't it likely that much of the philosophical arguments about
altruism occur because that innate sense is not accurately conceptually
identified, and the issues are further clouded because the inaccurate conceptual
models are often applied in argument in ways that contradict that innate sense?

A thought has occurred to me with increasing frequency - maybe other people just
aren't as obsessively analytical and tediously pedantic as I am, and don't feel
the same compulsion for conceptual clarity that I do. For example, when people
are in favor of altruism, they are for their innate sense, and completely
disregard the explicit conceptualizations of it used in philosophical arguments,
except as references to that innate sense.

- Dan