Nobody likes a do-gooder: Study confirms selfless behaviour is 'alienating'

David McDivittt david at subjectivist.org
Thu Sep 2 15:28:07 CEST 2010

I don't like the moral overtones of the article, as if not being a
do-gooder despite being against better interest. There is no ultimate
morality. People do what they do, and what they do is established by what
behaviors are survivable over the long term. Doing good for the sake of
good obviously lacks some survivability. I wonder why that is :) By saying
people fail to do good the author might as well have said we are all
depraved and need jesus christ for salvation, or, to make us start doing
good. I forwarded because the article had to do with egoism, and it is
nice to get a little acknowledgement, immoral as it may be.