Libertarian social profile (from Digest)

Daniel Davis buybuydandavis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 11:22:18 CET 2010

I get to disagree with Sid and Svein Olav in one post. What a rare treat!

I'd say egoism is compatible with just about any political X. You could be a
monarchist, a communist, an anarchist. You could have just about any political
preference and still be an egoist.

And while there are different ways to "be an X" politically, having a preference
for X qualifies in my book, and I consider it the relevant distinction. As a
matter of course, most Xs will not be egoists just because there are few
egoists; they'll be Xs for some idealist reason. The world is full of crazies;
if their craziness furthers the X I prefer, I'll take it. Beats a sharp stick in
the eye.

I'm trying to dredge it up in my mind, but didn't someone else in the sacred
scrolls make the point opposite of Sid, that egoism was compatible with any
political X?

Marsden has "a tub for Diogenes: a continent for Napoleon: control of a trust
for a Rockefeller:
all that I desire for me: if we can get them." This isn't really the one I was
thinking of. I thought someone mentioned monarchist or monarchism as a
possibility for an egoist.

Buy Buy -- Dan Davis