Libertarian social profile

Daniel Davis buybuydandavis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 16:48:15 CET 2010

> From: Svein Olav Nyberg <i at i-studies.com>
>
> * selfishness = stoic advantage calculation, so others' liberty
> matters only to the extent that it figures in the advantage
> calculation
> * selfishness also including emotions, friendship and the  like.
> * the still-ideologue response ... well, you all know the type

Blu said he doesn't care about the Liberty of others. I find that I do, and
would even call that preference a moral sentiment. Moral in all the behavioral
aspects of approval, first order punishing, and second order punishing
(punishing those who will not punish). Moral in terms of preferences for the
behaviors and attitudes of others.

Egoists can get doctrinaire about egoism, and embrace a concept of it created by
those who oppose it, a constricted egoism that accepts some limited circle about
one's self as the limit of what egoism "allows" one to care about. Maybe that's
just your body. Maybe friends and family. Maybe it's material gain, but not
emotional whim. Maybe it's only material and emotional, but not ideas.

Well, I like some ideas, and dislike others. Some half baked "concepts" are just
irrational, confused piffle, and I find them annoying. Reasonably well defined
concepts are things you can sink your teeth into, and you may find them tasty or
revolting. I have an interest in ideologies, and do in fact find some tasty and
others revolting.

Some of this is related to my slight opposition to Non Serviam as a title.
Maybe we could gin up an improved version of Non Serviam. Maybe it's just my
ignorance of latin that had me rejecting the term in the first place.

"I will not serve" seems to reject service, even service I chose for myself,
service I desire. Instead, "I reject demands of service." Not even that one
refuses to serve in the face of a demand for service, just that one rejects the
demand as such. Not very catchy in english, but as a play on Non Serviam, maybe
it could be tarted up. Anyone know Latin to any degree? Any catchy way of
adjusting Non Serviam into this idea?

Buy Buy -- Dan Davis