Sam Harris is creating a bright shiny new Objective Morality

Svein Olav Nyberg i at i-studies.com
Tue May 11 09:19:19 CEST 2010

At 14:31 -0700 10/5/10, Daniel Davis wrote:
>Sorry, guys. Yahoo formatting isn't working well with the list
>software. I'll try resending the last post in plain text mode.

The message as I received it was formatted fine.

>I like the distinction: descriptive or normative superstition.

:-)

Another thing to consider is that "ghosts" and "aliens" and whatnot
at least have a ghost of a chance to exist, and if we actually took
any of these matters seriously, we would form them as scientific
hypotheses and test them out. Descriptive superstitions are for the
most part empirically testable, at least in principle.

As for normative superstitions ... what can possibly have any bearing
on an "ought" as long as you leave out the valuer himself?

>Damn that Internet - it never forgets! Let's see if I can wriggle out of this.

Why wriggle? Take the trophy and run with it!

"i-studies" is part your creation. Anyway, I think we understand each other.

As for being valued, let me continue from what you said (aren't we
borinbg here, agreeing so much?): By all means, we *like* being
valued, being loved and appreciated. We value it. But the rock bottom
here is again that you are the valuer --valuing being valued-- and
"being valued" is not. Just imagine hearing that Fidel Castro values
you highly. Hooray? Probably not, because you do not value his
valuing. Now imagine hearing that I value you highly. Hooray? Of
course, because I am a great guy and you like me a lot, so my valuing
you is of value to you.

>I see the same things in evolutionary biologists, but I don't think
>I was engaging in it.

You weren't. I just used the occasion to soapbox a little.

>>Svein Olav: There might not be a specific "unbeliever gene", but there
>>might very well be a gene coding for degree of conformity.
>
>I think the genetic wedge isn't in conformity as much as credulity, trust,
>or impressionability.

That actually *would* be an interesting research project.
--

Svein Olav Nyberg
http://i-studies.com/i/

   "Did you ever contribute anything to the
    happiness of Mankind?"

   "Yes, I myself have been happy!"

                 - John Henry Mackay