our text for today

David McDivitt david at subjectivist.org
Tue Dec 14 04:52:46 CET 2010

>From: Emeka Nweze <enweze at gmail.com>
>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:55:48 -0500
>
>an adequate example of a fixed idea: Morality is not the doctrine of how we
>may make ourselves happy, but of how we may make ourselves worthy of
>happiness – Immanuel Kant.
>

>worthy of an abstraction?!
>Can i get a Amen?

I don't like the idea of being worthy for anything very much. Earning or
doing something may give me a sense of pride or accomplishment, but I still
don't consider that worthiness. Worthy in what regard? An appeal to god? An
appeal to fellow man? Do I need permission to be happy?

I like many things Kant says, but not that very much.

--
yes, I dare to be subjective!