Ego, self-overcoming & "I will not serve"

Daniel Davis buybuydandavis at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 03:48:30 CEST 2009

I don't like it as a motto either.

It too easily becomes the caricature of egoism that many make - the egoist who refuses to benefit others because he doesn't want to serve them; the egoist who constrains his circle of interest to a tiny bubble around himself.

Lots of people feel ripped off if they create value for others and are not compensated by that person giving up some value in return. They have the mental diseases of Objective Value and Exploitation. They project these mental diseases onto the egoist.

The perversity of it is that egoism, particularly from Stirner, is the cure for these mental diseases. I am not ripped off by creating value for you that you do not return through some effort of your own - I can act to benefit you because that is the outcome that *I* want.

Few people understand this, and I know that my own recognition of it conceptually is due mostly to Stirner.

Egoism is the recognition that you are free to act according to what you actually value, while ignoring the conceptual phantasms that would demand your service to what you do not value, but further refusing to be caught in the trap of viewing the value others might find in your efforts as necessarily a loss to yourself.

"I will not serve" doesn't really express what I am about, what egoism is about, or what Stirner is about, and is too easily mistaken for something we are expressly against.

As for static vs. dynamic "parts of me", I don't really see the issue in relation to the motto, and think the "part" metaphor is destructive of the point you I think you're trying to make, particularly where is comes perilously close to "You becoming the UnYou". I think Stirner makes your point pretty well himself using the metaphor of property instead of parts.

Per Stirner, any habits, likes, dislikes, interests, skills, that you have are just your property, they are not you or parts of you. Viewing all your property with a frosty eye, judging them according to how they serve you, you are free to remorselessly abandon old property or add new property as you create yourself anew each day. I think this expresses the kind of mental attitude open and conducive to change that you're advocating.

- Dan Davis