Ego, self-overcoming & "I will not serve"

June Russell jkr123 at live.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 13:24:42 CEST 2009

Hi Michael

Yes, I fully get what you're saying about 'I will not serve' being in a sense a fundamental negative.  And of course one wouldn't want to build a life structure on a negative.

I don't see it like that, however.  I see 'I will not serve' as being one half of a fuller affirmation.  An affirmation that goes more along the lines of 'I will not serve (a dead religion, an all-encompassing ideology, ideas thought through by others but not processed through my own filters, my own biological nature, the presumed dictates of my gender....etc etc) because my own beliefs/thoughts/rationale are the primary drivers in my life.

We can turn that around - My own beliefs are the primary drivers in my life.  Ergo - and utterly secondarily - I cannot and will not serve.

I see that as being about as positive a statement as you can get.  And it permeates every nuance of my life.  I'm 'selfish' in the sense I just described but live a life that is full of concern for others, genuine empathy and compassion, love, fun and laughter.  But my primary moral and existential responsibility is to myself.

June

PS Yes, the state and other spooks should appear on that list too.  As for spook-ridden - are we talking religion, woo-woo spiritualist crystal gazers - that kind of thing?