Ego, self-overcoming & "I will not serve"

Michael Brown petrarcapress at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 05:43:21 CEST 2009

Svein Olav Nyberg wrote:
> As a mathematician, I can't help thinking of the simple similarity to functions. Do only the constant functions like f(x)==5 have a "nature"? Does "having a nature" mean "to be constant"? Or does it even mean that the differential has to be constant, allowing at worst for functions like f(x)==5+1.2x

this recalls a story of a european bishop who changed his religious
affiliations several times depending upon the religion of the prevailing
ruler of the times. because he did this, he was always retained as
bishop of the bishopric of X.

after one such change, someone upbraided him for his lack of principle.

"not at all," he said. "my principle throughout was simple: to always
remain bishop of X!"

MRB
http://www.fuguewriter.com