Ego, self-overcoming & "I will not serve"

Svein Olav Nyberg ego at nonserviam.com
Thu Nov 5 13:48:26 CET 2009

At 18:48 -0700 31/8/09, Daniel Davis wrote:
>"I will not serve" doesn't really express what I am about, what
>egoism is about, or what Stirner is about, and is too easily
>mistaken for something we are expressly against.

The origin is from the Abrahamic mythology, as Satan's insurrection -
an insurrection of refusing to be ordered to put others above self -
be it by God, morality or other more visibly internal mental diseases.

I have to my dismay later found a source in muslim theology: Satan
refused to serve Adam because he wanted to serve God (Allah) only,
and therefore uttered "I will not serve" specifically in reference to
Adam.

So I *am* considering a name change? Suggestions are welcome. My
favourite so far is "i" (just a lower-case i), both for the obvious
reason, and as a mathematical pun on Sid Parker's magazine "-1".
--

Svein Olav Nyberg
http://www.nonserviam.com/solan/

   "Did you ever contribute anything to the
    happiness of Mankind?"

   "Yes, I myself have been happy!"

                 - John Henry Mackay