Ego, self-overcoming & "I will not serve"

Øyvind Kvernvold Myhre oeymyhre at online.no
Mon Aug 31 10:48:47 CEST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Svein Olav Nyberg" <ego at nonserviam.com>
To: <nonserviam at mailman.gramstad.no>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: Ego, self-overcoming & "I will not serve"

> As a mathematician, I can't help thinking of the simple similarity to
> functions. Do only the constant functions like f(x)==5 have a
> "nature"? Does "having a nature" mean "to be constant"? Or does it
> even mean that the differential has to be constant, allowing at worst
> for functions like f(x)==5+1.2x?

There is no real difference between the functions you select to illustrate
the constant self as opposed to the self that is constantly changing. If
you put g(x) = f(x) - 1.2x, your second equation becomes
g(x) = 5. Which is on exactly the same form as f(x) = 5.

These mathematical games may be completely irrelevant. Or, they
may be used to illustrate that the 'constant' self exists only as a special
example of the constantly changing self: That is, 'having a nature'
must necessarily include 'having a nature capable of change'.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Having started down the road to
self-reference, you let yourself (sic!) in for all kinds of paradoxes.